When you’re out and about make sure you not only apply sunscreen but bug repellent too. Bug bites are uncomfortable but certain bugs can spread diseases. Here are some helpful tips to prevent being bitten while you are active this summer.
- If you want both sun and bug protection, apply the sunscreen first and allow it to dry before applying insect repellent.
- Do not apply insect repellent on the skin under clothing.
- Consider using clothing, boots, tents and other gear that are treated with the insecticide permethrin. Pre-treated clothes are available for purchase. Anyone treating clothes at home should follow instructions carefully. Permethrin should not be applied directly to the skin.
- It’s also a good idea to cover up as much as possible. Wearing long-sleeved shirts, long pants, socks and a hat can help prevent bug bites. Shirts should be tucked in. Pants can also be tucked into socks for additional protection. Keep in mind, however, that some bugs can bite through thin fabrics.
- When traveling, stay in hotels or other places with air conditioning or good window and door screens.
- If bugs can’t be kept out of sleeping areas, sleep under a permethrin-treated bed net that can be tucked under the mattress.
- When sleeping outside, use mosquito coils or other area repellents that contain metofluthrin or allethrin.
Keep your skin healthy and soft after removing any unwanted hair. To learn about aftercare for your laser treatments go here!