Before and After Treatment Care
To obtain the highest level of efficacy, it’s important to take a moment to review these pre and post treatment considerations. By printing this list, you’ll have a comprehensive check-list for remembering these essential guidelines to make the most of your laser hair removal appointment. In addition, we’ll review these at the time of making your appointment and answer any questions you may have. By doing so, we’re able to provide the highest level of care while guaranteeing the best results.
Pre Treatment Care
- Please give a clean shave (no stubble) to the areas receiving treatment the morning of your appointment. For harder to reach places, such as the backside, we can provide assistance just prior to application of our laser.
- The area to be treated should be freshly cleaned and left free from any make-up, perfumes, lotions, creams, and/or antiperspirants.
- Areas to be treated should be as light as possible, so avoid tanning a minimum of 1 month leading up to treatments. Some skin types require longer than 1 month for a tan to fade or skin to return to its natural color. You must be at your natural color to achieve the best results with the least probability of side effects. Please also avoid sunless tanning products leading up to your appointments.
- Do not wax or otherwise remove the roots of the hair follicles for a minimum of 3 weeks prior to receiving laser hair removal.
- Do not bleach any hair to be treated, or lighten its color.
- You must advise us of any medications (topical or oral) you’re currently taking or have taken in the past 6 months which increase sensitivity to light. Examples include several antibiotic, antifungal, retinol, or isotretinoin.
Post Treatment Care
- We will apply a soothing aloe and vitamin E lotion to treated areas. Reapply at home as needed.
- There is no downtime with laser hair removal, so you can immediately engage in normal activities following your appointment.
- We advise the use of sunscreen ALWAYS to treated AND non-treated areas.
- Be gentle with the treated area, do not exfoliate immediately following a treatment and no heat or hot water to the treatment area for 24 after treatment.
- Immediate and continuous sun exposure, tanning, or working under halogen lights is to be avoided for at least 1 month post treatment.
- Remember, immediate redness (erythema) is to be expected and generally goes away in a few minutes or up to 24 hours. Important to note that it is generally considered a desirable side effect because it evidences effective damage to the follicles. However, as erythema presents itself as redness to the treated area, most people prefer to schedule appoints for treatment of the face or other visible areas on a Friday or over the weekend so that normal skin tone returns before the start of a new week.